When someone asks you what is made from oil, your immediate thought is probably gasoline. This is understandable since about half of every barrel of oil (a barrel of oil contains 42 gallons) goes towards making gasoline. However, did you know that a lot of products you use everyday are made from oil? Almost everything that needs power to produce goods uses oil, which then makes those good inadvertently made from oil.
Northern Oilfield Services is your trusted wellhead and valve product supplier. Based in Williston, North Dakota, we serve most of the western United States with oilfield drilling equipment, from fracking drilling equipment to wellhead equipment. When you rent or buy your oilfield equipment from us, we will service your equipment, making sure it is compliant with codes. Our mission is to ensure as little downtime for your oilfield rental equipment as possible, so you don’t lose time and money. In this blog post, we’ll examine some cool everyday items that you probably didn’t know were made from oil. Contact us today to get started!
EVERYDAY ITEMS MADE FROM OIL
- Medicines. A lot of everyday medicines, some of which you probably have in your medicine cabinet, contain oil-derived ingredients. One of these oil-based ingredients is benzene. Almost all over-the-counter medicines have benzene in them, including aspirin. Those who specialize in homeopathy also use petroleum-based products in their services. In fact, some have even gone so far as to say that it’s the use of petroleum in modern medicines that has led to the increase in the price of oil gradually over time.
- Cleaning products. Northern Oilfield Services in Williston, North Dakota, notes that you probably didn’t think you would be scrubbing oil off your countertops with oil, did you? In fact, you are. Most household cleaning products contain petrochemicals — one being glycerin — which is a common ingredient in laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent. Mixed with other potent ingredients, cleaning products (and for that matter, the bottle they are contained in), wouldn’t exist without oil and oilfield services companies getting oil out of the ground.
- Plastic. If you look around your home, you’d be shocked at how much of it is plastic. In fact, you are probably sitting on a chair with plastic in it, using a computer with plastic, and checking your cell phone with a plastic case. Almost all plastics are made from oil, which explains their virtual non-existence up until the late 1880s, with the first true plastic being generated in 1907. Estimates vary, but somewhere between four and 10 percent of all oil used in the United States is used to make plastic.
- Carpet. Carpet making itself has been around for hundreds of years (think Aladdin and his magic carpet). After all, no one likes stepping on a cold floor in the middle of the night, not even hundreds of years ago. However, most carpets today are made of synthetic fibers, which are made from oil. Speaking of synthetic fibers, take a look at the clothes you are wearing right now. If they have any kind of stretch to them, then they are made out of plastic, along with rayon, nylon, and polyester. So, yes, it’s true; you are wearing oil.
- Crayons and colors. One of the staples of every kindergarten class in America is crayons. Crayons somehow make everything bright in a kid’s world, both figuratively and practically. Crayons are made from distilling petroleum, an oil product.
THANK AN OILFIELD SERVICE COMPANY AND PERSONNEL TODAY
Oil has gotten a bad rap these days, along with fracking. Northern Oilfield Services in Williston notes that this is mostly due to many misconceptions about fracking and what it entails. In fact, most oilfield service companies follow very strict state, local, and federal regulations with regards to the environment. If you were ever to visit an oil rig platform or a fracking operation, you’d notice just how clean the job site is. You’d also notice all of the safety precautions and rules for operating on an oilfield job site.
The fact of the matter is that we cannot live our current lifestyles without oil. If we were to give up oil, we’d be back to what life was like 200 years ago: many infants dying early from illnesses and the flu, an average lifespan of around 40 years old, and a shrunken world where you rarely traveled 50 miles from the place you were born. It’s a far cry from today’s world, and the vast majority of us love the conveniences that oil affords. So thank an oilfield service company today!
THE NOTHERN OILFIELD SERVICES DIFFERENCE
Northern Oilfield Services helps bring oil to you through our oilfield rental equipment services, drilling rental services, and our wellhead services. When you partner with us, we can provide you with all of your wellhead equipment rental and sales needs, from casing hangers, mobile accumulators, flow trees, and more. Northern Oilfield excels at taking care of our customers through providing onsite maintenance services, or services in our Williston shop. We began this business with the idea that there was a better way to being in the oilfield service business, and our company was born.
Whether you need hydraulic fracking equipment or other oilfield drilling equipment, call us today. We are the best oilfield services company, taking loads off your shoulders so you can see above the crowds and what is next on your business’ horizon. Contact Northern Oilfield Services in Williston today for all your drilling equipment rental needs.